Each tonne of CO2e reduced or sequestered during the programme generates a carbon certificate. Your baseline assessment influences how your certificates will be calculated.
If your baseline assessment shows that you are already sequestering carbon overall, your annual GHG balance will be compared to a fixed regional reference (+250kg CO2e/ha for regions assessed so far) and the difference between your annual performance and this regional reference will be translated into certificates.
If your baseline assessment shows that you are a net emitter of GHGs, your annual GHG balance will be compared to your own baseline assessment and you will therefore have to improve your practices to create a differential that will be translated into a number of certificates. In this case, it is the difference between your new situation in year x and your initial situation that determines the number of certificates generated.
Yes. Direct drilling, or no-till, is not a hard requirement to store carbon. There are other factors (such as organic fertilisation, cover cropping, minimum tillage, etc.) that improve the carbon balance in the soil in the model that we use.
The duration of the programme is 5 years. By subscribing to Soil Capital Carbon, you commit to an initial GHG assessment at the time of registration (“baseline assessment”), and then a GHG assessment each year for the following 5 years. During the 5 years of the programme, 80% of your certificates can be sold immediately. The remaining 20% will be held in the buffer and can only be sold 10 years later (years 10 to 15) when we have been able to verify that you have retained the carbon added to your soil during the programme. This verification is done via satellite and no longer involves GHG assessments or data sharing.